Monday, June 29, 2009

M3 (My Michael Moments)

I had to do it...
for various reasons, all speculated, much like the lifestyle of an unmatched musical icon whose vocal and dancing abilities set the standard for every artist to follow. And if you can't care about his contributions to not just American music but the art on a global spectrum, just respect the fact that he was MY shit.

In this blog, I wanted not to talk about the moments that solidified Michael's iconic status to the world but the moments that shaped my childhood and provided numerous mental markers into my adulthood. Memories that will never escape me.

Top 5...

5. The year is 2003. Michael, our beloved, is up on charges coming out of the wazoo. "He touched me here. He touched me there. He jacked me off. He made me drink alcohlic beverages. MOLESTATION!!" The most complex thought coming into most of our minds is, "Shit..." All these white people got Mike trumped up on this bullshit but thank God for Jewish lawyers! The reigning cry, "NOT GULITY" Seven charges. And I watched all of this go down on a TV in a Coney Island in Roseville, MI. I watched some crazed fan release 7 doves in honor of all of his aquittals. And you say you've never witnessed a miracle...

4. It's 1991. Home Alone was every child's shit. (don't lie, you know that was your shit) and Pepsi cissed the hell out of this new video they were about to debut, yup, "Black or White". Macaulay has the guitar, he's rockin out, blasts his dad out of the ceiling. yup, yup. I was in Jefferson City, MO in the den at my house. The whole family got together to watch this joint. We waited in anticipation like Santa claus was about to reveal his true identity. Not gonna lie, even as I child I thought the vid was only "aight" but I remember how important that moment was.

3. Adding to Michael's awesomeness, did you know he could draw? Yeah... If you had the Thriller album, the art on the insert was done by Michael himself. I can only find this one...

but there were two sketches. Count 'em, TWO SKETCHES. If you find the other one, let me know.

2. I have no I idea when this happened but I know I cannot be the only one remembers exactly where they were and how they felt after seeing "Thriller" for the first time. I was in Muskogee, Oklahoma in my Big Momma's beauty parlor. I was getting my hair pressed. It scared the hell out of me. The ending?!? When HE was the zombie!!! YIKES!! Everybody else in the room was older than me and they all watched unmoved. Even though it scared me, it was still awesome.

1. I have so many of these "Michael Moments". I remember exactly where I was for most of Michael's video premieres that I was alive for: Remember the Times, that Free Willy joint, You Are Not Alone, etc. Or when my dad bought "the glove" from the Motown Museum. (Yes, I owe a replica of Michael's glittery glove.) I have so many, I can't even begin to remember them all... But my most cherished Michael Moments weren't moments so much as they were a series of instances that I was enveloped in the magic that was known to the world as "Moonwalker". Hands down, I have seen that movie more than any other film IN MY LIFE. I know it inside and out. Hours I spent trying to learn the dance moves to "Bad" the way little kids did it. My sister and I have an inside joke from that scene. The claymation characters, the retrospect they did in the beginning where I discovered some of my favorite Michael and J5 hits, the live performance of "Dirty Diana", "Smooth Criminal" IN IT'S ENTIRETY!!, Joe Pesci and those ridiculous glasses! Wow.

Never have I been so impacted by one person and, in this lifetime, I know it will never happen again. So this is for you Mike. You're THEE greatest. No disrepect but John Lennon and Elvis Presely ain't got shit on you. and that's word.


PART II
So yeah, it's Al Wu here with my main man, Michael Jackson. (Mars Blackmon and Michael Jordan reference...) and the longest post I will probably ever put up. But this is just a list of my favorite hits by Mike or the Jackson 5. I found it too difficult to put them up in any order. I feel like all the other lists I've seen include great songs but they were his best selling and most obvious joints and never any B-side classics. I tried to include some of those on here cause, hell, they deserve to be.

check out my bangin playlist.


Favorite Michael Joints

Oh yeah, and I had to leave a little bit something extra. Mike had a video game for Sega and an arcade version. Watch the clip. Laugh your ass off.


Did you hear that soundtrack?!

Love ya'll,

-Wu

2 comments:

  1. GREAT SOUNDTRACK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best blog to date! I loved MJ!!! That arcade game, I remember playin that shit while my bro was killin street fighter...o the memories


    Rosamaria

    ReplyDelete